Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Susie

Today was the funeral of my Great grandmother Susie. We called her Susie even though her name was really Nealy - not sure where the name Susie came from.....that's just what we've always called her. Here is the cover of the program from her service today which was really nice by the way.




Here's my dad looking at all the
dozens of plants and flowers in
my grandparent's garage after
the funeral.


I was going through some old pictures
tonight and found a few of Susie........
This is one of her at her 93rd
birthday party.


Here is a picture of Susie with me on my
college graduation day in December 1998.
I still remember her trying to climb up all
those steps in the coliseum. She was a
trooper for sure!


One of the nice things about today is that we got to see family that we haven't see in a really long time. I have 8 cousins on my dad's side of the family (Susie's great grandkids) and it's very rare for us to all be in the same place at the same time. Here is a picture of us several years ago (not exactly sure what year though). I'm pretty sure this is one of a few pictures we have of all of us together.


So, we decided today that we needed to take another picture. My dad had us line up in order starting with the oldest great grandchild (yours truly). After me is Greg, my brother Jason, Brent (just recently released from prison back in May), Michael, Brandon, Matthew, Steven, Jeffrey, and Megan.





Speaking of my cousin Brent, today was the first time he had ever seen the girls and Logan, and the first time I've seen him in about 6 years. He missed alot while in prison, but he really seems to have turned his life around for the better. He played with the girls all afternoon at my grandmother's house after the funeral. He is really good with kids and the girls enjoyed getting to know him - although they weren't too sure about his pluthera of tattoos. Brent is a very interesting character - I have many memories of him as a child having a strong fascination with animals. I will never forget the time that he caught a buzzard and put this bright red t-shirt on it and then set it free. Months passed by and you would still see that ole buzzard flying around Jewett in his red t-shirt. And people would say, "Look....there goes Brent's buzzard!" You may think I am joking - I. am. not. :)


Here is a video of him "racing" the girls today
at my grandmother's house. And yes, that is
my dad trying to keep up still dressed in his
nice clothes from the funeral. Give it up
Papaw!!!



The day ended with us trying to get back in time for me to vote by 7:00 p.m. I made it to our polling location at 6:15 p.m. and was done at 6:20 p.m. People thought I was crazy for not voting early - well, I've never voted early and I never plan to! Why should I go and vote early and stand in line for an hour???? I've always waited to vote until Election Day and I go about 30 minutes before the polls close. I've done that every time and have never had to wait at all - right in and out BABY!!!

No comments:

Thanksgiving Memory Slideshow.....


Dewberry Farm Slideshow


Fun on the Farm Slideshow


4th of July Slideshow