Friday, August 15, 2008

Broken Arm Blues

Well, we had a little incident last night at our house. I was on the phone in the house when all of a sudden Lauren comes in and tells me that Leah got hurt. I didn't think much of it at first especially since they make a fuss about the smallest little scrape. I knew it must be bad when Leah walked in the house, laid in my bed, and cried through one of her favorite shows (Hannah Montana). That usually always makes her feel better. I also started thinking it might be broken because she wouldn't let me touch it and she wouldn't move it. I asked her about what happened outside and she said she was trying to get out of the swing when she fell and landed on her arm. I then got on the phone to call Stephen and asked him if he was close to being home yet (this was around 7:30 p.m.). He tells me he is close to the house and I told him that I thought Leah's arm might be broken. He told me to have her lay still and he would look at it as soon as he got home. Within 5 minutes of him arriving home, he said I'm taking her to the ER . . . so Logan and Lauren and I stayed here since it was Logan's bedtime. They got home around 11:30 last night and she walks in with her arm in a sling. I think my first words were, "Oh my poor baby!" She has really been a big girl about it - Stephen said she didn't cry whenever they did the x-rays or anything. All she cared about was if she was going to get a shot. Both of my girls are needle phobics (they take after their mom in that area). Soooooo, I spent most of the morning on the phone trying to find an orthopedic surgeon who can put her in a permanent cast. Of course, no one had any openings for today, but I got her an appt. for Monday afternoon (the day I go back to work - go figure!) I'm sure it will be at least 6 weeks before she'll be able to get it off - only one bone is broken thank goodness . . . it could have been worse. Leah is VERY shy and I told her that having a cast was probably going to give her alot of unwanted attention - I hope she is able to deal with that okay as she starts kindergarten soon. What a way to start off the school year right?

Changing subjects, my little Logan surprised me today. I had bought him a sippy cup several weeks ago, had washed it, and sat it on the counter waiting for the right time to let him try it (in the back of my head thinking he probably will just bang it around and throw it across the room like the girls did when they were little). However, to my surprise, he grabbed that cup, put it in his mouth, and began sucking away . . . almost as if to say, "Gee mom, it's about time you let me have this cup!" I couldn't believe it! The girls were so proud of his big boy accomplishment!



No comments:

Thanksgiving Memory Slideshow.....


Dewberry Farm Slideshow


Fun on the Farm Slideshow


4th of July Slideshow