Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Spring Break

We are thoroughly enjoying our spring break so far. The weather the last two days has been gorgeous and hopefully it will continue for the rest of the week. I finally started reading Twilight over the weekend. OMG! It. is. so. good. That's about all I can say! I've already read half of the book and I'm sure I'll have it finished by the end of the week. I've been taking it with me everywhere and reading every chance I can get while I'm off this week and while I've had some quiet time around the house. The night I started reading it, I stayed up until 1 a.m. I'm not big on "vampires" by any means, but this book is soooooo good. Now I know why my friend Amanda couldn't stop talking about it! I'm really anxious to see the movie, which I've heard is not near as good as the book - we'll see.
On a totally different topic, I went to see my cardiologist this morning for a stress test and boy, was that interesting! I've been having these weird palipitations in my chest for about 3 weeks now. Actually, they started towards the end of February so I called and made an appt. for March 4th (which just so happened to be the same day as our 2nd grade field trip to the zoo...........great planning, I know). They detected a definite "hiccup" in my heartbeats and scheduled me for bloodwork, an echocardiogram, and a treadmill stress test. They also set me up to wear a heart monitor for 24 hours and I had to press a button every time I felt anything unusual. Before I could leave the office that day on March 4th, I nearly passed out cold and my bloodpressure dropped dangerously low. They wouldn't let me drive home so I had to call my friend Jennifer to come and get me. The girls were with me and the only thing Lauren managed to say in all of this was, "Mommy, are you going to be staying home tomorrow?" LOL! So, long story short and LOTS of tests later, my heart is completely healthy and the doctor feels that I am super low-risk for any kind of heart disease or problems. She said my bloodwork was "sickingly great" and that I did really well on my stress test. There were 5 stages to the treadmill stress test and she said most people do not finish it. Well, I made it to stage 5, but I did have to tell her to slow it down. I was sucking wind BIG TIME!!!! She said they've had several people that had to be taken to the ER following a stress test before - that's real encouraging!!! I honestly don't see how elderly people with extreme heart conditions could get past Stage 1 on that thing. She said I got further than most people, so I was definitely proud of myself for that! She said they could put me on beta blockers to help when these weird palipitations flare up, but I opted not to. She said I did the right thing by investigating what could be causing them. She said alot of women my age come in with the exact same symptoms and end up having a hole in their heart or congenital heart disease. Heart disease is known as the "silent killer" because people who have it generally don't show any symptoms. She said it is more likely to occur in women than men........so, if you feel something isn't just right, have it checked out and don't dismiss it! I'm glad I did and it is a definite peace of mind to know that everything is fine!

2 comments:

Mrs. Adams said...

I am so glad to hear that everything came back normal. You are right about having things checked out when you notice them. Good for you!

Brandy said...

That's awesome Stephanie! Thanks for sharing!!! I'm SO glad everything came out like it did. :)

Thanksgiving Memory Slideshow.....


Dewberry Farm Slideshow


Fun on the Farm Slideshow


4th of July Slideshow